Saturday, March 31, 2012

Knitting Progress, and Blog Stuff

Let me show you the knitting progress on my thrifted mustard tweed:


The pattern I am using is #15 Harlow Suit Jacket from Verena Knitting January 2010 - it is a rather cute peplum design with contrast collar and front bands:


I chose a plum yarn as the contrast, and even though there is no plum in the tweedy flecks it seems to work OK. This is a fairly dull colour to wear next to my face, so I thought plum would increase the flattery factor.  (If I was going to follow the tweedy flecks I would have had the option of lime green, royal blue, watermelon pink, or lemon yellow, so now you understand!)

I'm making it more fitted than the picture - using smaller needles, making it up as I go along...  I will make long sleeves - I've done half one but ripped it back today as it was too tight.  It is going to look quite 40's don't you think?


A lot of knitting was done on our holiday - it really helps to take a road trip if you want to make inroads into your knitting!

And when I came back, I discovered lots of blog awards waiting in the comments!  Thanks so much to the following bloggers for these awards:


  kreativ_blogger_award


Now, I'm going to break the rules here:
  • Instead of listing seven things about myself, I'm going to refer you to my new-ish About Me page - just click on the tab at the top! 
  • Instead of listing 15 more blogs, I'm going to send you to the side bar where there is a selection of fabulous blogs - click on the 15 that pique your interest the most, and make sure you leave some comments along the way!
  • I know I'm a terribly naughty and lazy rule-breaker for doing this, but I am trying to save time so I can get some sewing done today... cool, I knew you'd understand!

Speaking of blogs listed in my side bar - I deleted my blog roll by mistake!  I blame Husband actually - he bought home the bottle of bubbly, and poured me a glass, or two, and he should know not to do this when I am fiddling around with blog buttons that say things like 'cancel' or 'remove'...  I've added some links back today - it is such a tedious job, but eventually I will get there.

What has amazed me, is how one week without my blog list makes me feel so out of touch - I missed out on amazing things like Katherine's swimsuit, Jane's Mad Men Dress, and all your OWOPs organised by Tilly!  Kind of like a part of my life was missing - and I suppose it was!

17 comments:

  1. I like your colourway so much better than the pattern photo. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the plum colour against the mustard. I don't think picking a colour that is in the flecks is very important.
    When I had to abandon my old blog, I felt a bit lost. I never did reconnect with some people which is sad. I just hope that they don't think I decided to ignore them on purpose! Technology isn't perfect, so I think everybody just has to be relaxed about these things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, plum and mustard look so great together. I think I missed the beginning of this... have you taken apart a thrifted sweater to re-knit?! Awesome! I'm not a knitter, so just end up sewing sweaters into something new. This is a whole new level!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I found a large cardigan in an op-shop for $1, and couldn't resist!

      Delete
  4. Your knitting is stunning. I would love to try this pattern, however, have not had success in locating it.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried a library Marie? That's where I found mine!

      Delete
  5. What an interesting color combination -- I love it! This is a cute style, especially the peplum. Can't wait to see the finished result!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a talent! This is coming together beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your knitted jacket is coming out great! I like it better than the pattern photo, precisely because you are making it more fitted, good idea. And with a peplum you will be so in! I'd love to see it when you are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this knitting pattern is so pretty. I really love that waist and peplum, and the mustard color... oh. I really want to teach myself knitting. Maybe using a holiday as an excuse (I need something to do with my hands!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is looking great . Did you treat the wool at all before starting to knit it up? I seem to remember steaming it to get the kinks out? What are you going to wear it with . I can see skirt or dress with a godet or flared hen insert type treatment in the back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! I remember really liking that jacket too when the pattern came out. You look like you'll do a fabulous job of it. Perhaps I will follow suit and knit one too... now that I have somwhere I could wear it to!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your jacket is coming along beautifully! And, great minds think alike, I am having a mustard moment too... I bought some mustard wool recently :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a change! You've given that mustard wool a whole new life. Note to self: learn to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a knitter and usually pass over knitting posts. But this jacket is just so enviable. Send it over to Sydney!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm intrigued by this pattern now and want to knit a jacket for myself. The yarn specified in the pattern is not available in Australia so I was wondering what did you use to make it? Did you undo a secondhand jumper from an opp shop and, if so, how did you choose the garment to "upcycle"?

    The choice of colours is inspired - way better than the illustration with the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Corinne - the yarn specified in the pattern is a worsted/10ply, so anything similar in weight should work. The yarn I am using is recycled, but it was DK/8ply so I've made a few adjustments!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really enjoy hearing your thoughts and feedback every time I post!