Saturday, April 17, 2010

~FO: burda 11/2008/#111 dress~

I've finished my green dress, and I'm really pleased with the result:


I haven't pressed it at all since wearing it to the wedding, so considering this fabric is a very-easily-creased silk/viscose, I'm impressed - it just shows you the value of interlining!


The fabric was a bit lighter than my green shoes, so I underlined it with black to darken it slightly.  I kept the tucks independent from the underlining to keep the look of chiffon.  I actually pressed them flat on the underlining and lining, as they were a bit puffy in that fabric and it affected the hang of the chiffon tucks.
The 2 layers were treated as one at the neck and armhole edges, centre back seam, waistline, and hem.  The rest of the chiffon was french seamed, including the darts.


Before attaching the skirt, I placed the bodice on the mannequin to check the 2 bodice layers matched exacly at the lower edge, and also repeated this for the skirt before hemming. I prickstitched by hand the 2 hem layers together at 3.5cm, and turned the hem at 4cm and stitched it to the underlining for an invisible hem.


Rather than the binding method that Burda proposed, I made a conjoint neck and armhole facing to finish these edges, to which the lining was attached.


I'm really happy with the way the belt turned out - this is an area where things can so easily look homemade!  It has a little hook and eye as a retainer:


So that's it! 
Hopefully I will have some pictures of it on a real-live-person-at-the-wedding for you soon!

13 comments:

  1. Another beautiful dress! And a belt too, oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It turned out beautifully, love the belt! And how amazing that it didn't crease at all after wearing it. I never think of interlining but maybe I'll have to consider it for future since it worked so well for you...
    Look forward to seeing real-live-person pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful dress! I'm sure you are stunning in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, came to your site via BurdaStyle - I looove the dress, especially the fabric. Really nice!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow! how did I not visit your blog sooner?! this dress is stunning and in my all-time favourite colour. looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous! I came here from BurdaStyle, as well. I am searching everywhere for this pattern, actually. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  7. ~Elisa - thank you! The pattern is in Burda Nov 2008 issue. I don't actually own it, but found it in my local library, so perhaps you could try there?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is Absolutely Fabulous! Where can I get this pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  9. ~amarige - the pattern was published in Burdastyle November 2008. You could also try the Burdastyle website, they upload a lot of their patterns for purchase there too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG it's amazing! I have to look if I have this issue at home!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really enjoy hearing your thoughts and feedback every time I post!